Friday, March 7, 2008

The Takers

Here's a quickie.

I had to fly to L.A. recently (unfortunately), and I was awestruck at what WE did:


Zoom out, cause it's a mind fuck:


Keep going...



It made the idea of humanity as a virus hit home unlike it had before when just a concept. I mean, what kind of fool takes the elegant, graceful, exquisite, marvelous, dumbfounding intricacy and asymmetrically beauty of...




...and turns it into a fucking grid?

It bothers me that the patterns we humans make seem alien and completely unlike anything I see in "nature". Why are humans so damn weird? We must be like a bad rash our earth got when consorting with unsavory types. So, perhaps we're the destroyers. We hate to think it, but really and truly, the advancement and encroachment of humanity serves only to help humans. For everyone else, humanity only makes things worse. For everyone else, humanity is the four horsemen.

I think it's funny how we go to the movies to be scared silly of a parasitic alien invasion where the aliens travel from one planet to another. They suck it dry, leaving a dead husk and move on to the next planet. Wow! Those guys are assholes!



I'll avoid stating my, now obvious, conclusion from this idea. Or did I?

BUT

Wow. That's a big but.

I've made an artificial distinction between humanity and nature. We like to do that as humans but we and everything we do is part and parcel of nature. So, how can we act unnaturally? How can we do something not in our nature?



Can someone out there answer these...

Questions:
  • Are we the destroyers?
  • Can a human actually act contrary to his/her nature?
  • Why are our patterns so weird?
  • Why are we obsessed over lines, squares and circles?
  • Why not spirals?
  • Why do we consume the earth so rapidly?
  • Can we stop?
  • Should we?
  • Why doesn't this kind of stuff bother most people?

5 comments:

MudStuffing Pottery said...

Dang, I screwed that post up, I should probably learn to proof read huh?

I got another but for you... BUT it's not a grid... those ractangles aren't even rectangles. We don't live in 2D we live in 4D and those rectangles are wrapped around a sphere called a globe - BUT - it's even more than that, because we don't live is 3D, we live in 4D. As much as "we humans" think that we are applying logic and structure, nature has a great way of showing us who is boss.... We live in 4D, what do you think is going to happen to those rectangles OVER TIME, what do you think is going to happen when those tectonic plates kick in and say "Look at what I can do mother fucker!"

Bleego! said...

Hah! That's why I write all my posts in Word first(except this). I don't trust myself with a spell check. :)

On your point, you are 110% correct, naturally. You caught me being a little loose with my language again(grid).

Thanks for reading and thanks even more for sharing. It's exactly as I hoped. Love ya!

g said...

Does the title for this blog come from that ISHMAEL book I put into the sibling reading circle(spiral?) a couple of years ago?

Flying at night over cities is even more scary because with the city lights on it looks like one of those microscopic photos of cancer cells. Which is ironic because humans "created" cancer as we've created cities. Until after we discovered fire there weren't any carcinogens or free radicals or anthing else around in the enviroment to bounce the electrons in the atoms we're made up of and cause this type of malignant growth in our cells.

later, g

Bleego! said...

Yes, that experience personified that term for me. I had noticed a resemblance between cities and circuit boards, which is funny (or sad). But, this was overwhelming because it was literally "as far as the eye could see" in a plane!

It gave me the willies.

Bleego! said...

"Until after we discovered fire there weren't any carcinogens or free radicals or anything else around in the environment to bounce the electrons in the atoms we're made up of and cause this type of malignant growth in our cells."

Well, that's not entirely true. Nature does it's own share (forest fires, volcanoes, etc). But, really that only supports your argument because who wants to mimic a volcano?

Seems pretty foolish. :)