Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Why I Rant

Questions:
  • What’s my deal?
  • Why do I continually complain?
  • Why is I so durn “Un-American”?
  • Why can’t I just suck it up and fall in line?
Well, while no one else on the net bothers to visit me, slowly I am making this blog known to family and friends. In fact, I just now decided to take the plunge and send my Mum a link. Scarey, huh?

So, it occurred to me that, out of context, these posts may sound subversive and “Un-American”. While normally these observations and accusations (though incorrect) don’t bother me in the slightest (I even indulge them playfully at times), as this blog is about getting at “the real stuff of me”, I feel compelled to add some context. So, Mum, this post is for you:

First off, I don’t hate America. I don’t particularly take to hating anyone. I happen to like who I am, and I would be foolish to negate the vast influence of living in America has had on me. This country has afforded me great opportunities and I’m forever grateful. Positive and negative, it has all shaped me.

I am, however, very disgruntled with our government and its distrust of citizens. In this, I’m not specifically referring to Iraq; I see that as a symptom of a larger issue. Even Bush himself is a mere symptom. It came before Bush and before his father.

For this, I’m reminded of the American Revolution and the spirit and philosophies that helped it come to pass (Note to Self: Get reacquainted with John Locke). In a nutshell, I feel that the significance is less the independence from Britain but more on personal liberty and the absurd idea that one man should rule another. When we think of “We the People”, it’s a strong statement that places authority in each of us and trusts the people to create a society that they wish to live in. We are our own rulers and government should be social contract rather than a list of laws handed down from a crown.

One of the main problems, as I see it, is that we’ve lost or let go of this inspired American spirit for the comfort of perceived security. I feel that modern politicians are acting more like rulers and less like public servants. In short, I feel like our modern government doesn’t trust me enough to make my own decisions. I’m a “grown-ass man”, for crying out loud and I don’t need or want a babysitter. Thanks, but no thanks.

I’d like to quote Henry David Thoreau, someone who influenced me greatly as an adolescent and someone who I’m thankfully re-discovering these days (due to my wife):

“Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his conscience to the legislator? Why has every man a conscience, then?”

If I were to distill my personal government philosophy regarding these things it would be something like as follows:

“What I (as a consenting adult) do is my business and no one else’s, until it infringes on another citizen’s rights.”

Or to put more coarsely, don’t mess with my shit and I won’t mess with yours. I find it a great guide in sorting out what “political” issues need politicizing and which don’t. Gay marriage doesn’t infringe on my liberties in any conceivable way and I think those that make a huff about it are mostly expressing their personal distaste through the guise of “protecting the sanctity of marriage”. If that was the real goal, there are far more heterosexuals tarnishing the good name of marriage than there are homosexuals. Focus on them, Bush. More on this later.

The grand point of this whole thing is that I’m not trying to overthrow or destroy America. I want America to return to its infant spirit and to be introspective, innovative and inclusive. We evolve technology and other aspects of being human at a rapid pace, why do we not evolve our government?

I want us, as citizens, as people and as neighbors to take a long hard look at the way we do things from the ground up. How do we want to live? Let’s renew our dedication to individual liberty and let’s help grow a country and a world where everyone counts, where we “get over ourselves” and show a true respect for our fellow humans.

It is in this context that I critique and attack aspects of American life. I’m not looking to tear us down I want to help grow us up.

In closing, please don’t lock me up, I mean no harm.

6 comments:

kgoods said...

I couldn’t agree with you more, on many things you wrote about. The scary thing is; now a day’s people act like it is "un-American" to talk about such things. It's actually the exact opposite! Nothing is more American then expressing free thought, nothing is more American then questioning such things. I question such things because I love my country and the ideals it was originally founded on.
It makes me so mad when people are quick to label someone un-American, just because they question the way things are going, or being done. The sad part is people seem to want someone to tell them how to think, or how they should live.
It seems like we have become so comfortable in our cushy little lives with all of our modern conveniences, that no one wants to ruin that, or rock the boat. It's really scary, because it makes me wonder how much we would actually put up with. What would it actually take for us as a people to get angry and actually say or do something about it?

So many of our rights have already been violated and taken away. The effects of these actions are not immediately obvious to us now, but they will be to future generations.
They take these actions under the guise of “national security”. How about we look at why the perceived enemy hates us? What foreign policies have we enacted that have caused such reaction?

Anyway, that’s my rant for the day. Oh and, I stumbled across this a little while back and have been an avid reader ever since. Keep it up brother!

-K

Amy said...

While Governor Spitzer sits in his swanky Manhattan pad, weighing his options... tens of thousands of non-violent "criminals" are rotting in New York prisons. This is the man in our state who makes the rules you and I have to follow and yet he can take his sweet time deciding if his own personal non-violent crime warrants his stepping down - why isn't he in jail, again? If it was you or I, we sure as hell would be. Goddamn the man.

Tom said...

I just finished reading all of your rants up to now and I am in awe, sir. Just when I thought that our flawed human evolution was heading at breakneck speed towards idiocracy, a breath of fresh air representing someone who has taken time to take in the miracle of existence in all its depth and color appears. Of course, I've always appreciated you for being an intellectually curious sort but now I have an opportunity to share in your thoughts without having to drive to Albany!

Mom "P" said...

I had a long conversation with Glenn the other day- a REALLY good one and one thing I told him really hits home after reading these posts and that is...I am constantly learning from my children. I'm not sure if it's true for most of your generation or just for a few that I am fortunate to know but the thing that impresses me most is that you all TAKE THE TIME to think and question and then come up with concepts that make your mother feel stupid. I love that! cause it makes me think! I am in total agreement about life being a spiral and how much more interesting is that than a circle?..nature is too beautiful to put sharp edges on, etc.
Growing up with Nana and Grandad and being a service wife, love of country is ingrained in me, but I will admit, it came without a lot of questioning. When I was younger, we weren't exposed to a constant onslaught of everything tawdy in the media coverage of our presidents and government officials ...we fought wars for what we thought were just reasons...other countries looked up to us and it was a lot easier to be accepting. Love of my country does not waver- even with its faults, there is no where else I'd rather call home. My hope is that someday we will get to the point that, even with questioning our system, you all will be proud of not only our country but our government as well. That will take some changes.
This has gotten really long, sorry!
Love U

Bleego! said...

I must admit, these comments gathered too quickly for me to adequately respond in depth (I'm slow). First, I want to thank all of you for reading AND responding. This sort of dialog is exactly the sort of thing I hoped would happen! It brings me immense pleasure to begin an exchange of thought with people I love and respect.

Kristian - Somehow it's terribly appropriate you found me this way. I'm glad and I look forward to future exchanges.

Amy - You know how I feel, I'll just tell you in person. :)

Dad Holster - After our marathon meeting of the minds during your last visit, you're precisely one of the people I had in mind with the idea behind this blog. I always enjoy discussing ideas with you.

Mum - Your post was lengthy, but I'm terribly glad you made it. You've always been an inspiration, a concrete example that people can be GOOD! You often say you learn so much from us, never underestimate what we've learned from you and Daddoo. Also, I too hope to see the day when I can proudly wear the label of American, as you do. We can get there together.

Love you all,
-D

g said...

"Let me make it clear that when I say 'admire the United States,' the United States is not the government. There is very little in the government that I admire -certainly not in the present, and certainly not in recent years - but there is much that I do admire in the United States, and what I admire is the spirit of independence and thought, which has allowed so many Americans to protest against policies they disagreed with. What i admire most in the United States is the spirit of those people who have protested against the war in Iraq, those black people in the South who demonstrated and protested and risked so much to do away with racial segregation. That is what is most admirable about this country."

-Howard Zinn

I'm reading this gentleman's book, A PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES 1492-PRESENT, so I know why you rant. I think that if you read this book you may have a deeper understanding of why you rant. I'm thinking about running for President, you and this man would definitely have positions in my cabinet. What do you think?

I'll be in touch, g